Investintech - CAJ Journalism Scholarship
For the first time, Investintech.com, Inc. is pleased to announce its annual scholarship contest to Canadian journalism students. Students will win $1,000, a free one year membership with the CAJ and a free pass to the annual national CAJ conference.
NOTE: The CAJ has cancelled the annual national conference for 2020 in Montreal. As such, the free pass prize to the conference will not be offered this year, and there will be no virtual conference alternatives or substitution prizes available.
About the Scholarship
As developers of PDF converter, creator and editor solutions, we know what an important role data has to play in our everyday lives and especially in the news. Now more than ever, factual data analysis is crucial to the integrity of investigative reporting, and learning to do so accurately is essential. That’s why we’re getting involved right where it matters most when it comes to the future of the journalism industry — the students.
Our aim for this scholarship is to support and encourage journalism students by helping them with the costs of their education, which can often be a hindrance to their career. Not only that, but we intend for this scholarship to serve as a way to help prepare students for a career path as a journalist by getting them to think about the industry and its ever increasing emphasis on data.
That said, this scholarship will go to one Canadian student who shows insight and good understanding of the journalism industry before they even enter the newsroom professionally. We want to get Canadian journalism students, like you, to really think about the data you use in your stories.
To ensure this scholarship falls in line with professional and journalistic guidelines, we’ve partnered with the Canadian Association of Journalists (CAJ). The CAJ is a notable journalism organization that provides Canadian journalists with support, mentorship, community, and resources across the country.
Take the opportunity to start realizing your potential as a data journalist.
Important Dates And Deadlines
*Updated as of March 26, 2020
- Annual deadline for submissions: May 1, 2020
- Review timeframe: May 1, 2020 - May 15, 2020
- Our announcement date: May 16, 2020
- Award date for 2019-20 scholarship year: May 17, 2020
The Investintech - CAJ Data Journalism Scholarship is open to students who show an interest in data journalism and are:
- Majoring in a journalism program, working towards either a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree.
- Currently accepted to or enrolled in a college or university in Canada.
- Pursuing a course of studies leading to an undergraduate or graduate degree in journalism.
Submission and Application Details
Submitted work may be a published item, class assignment or even an item on a personal blog.
- Work must have been produced within one calendar year of the scholarship closing date.
- Individual work is preferred. If submitted item is produced as part of a team of two or more, applicant must have done the bulk of the work.
- Previous winners are not eligible to apply.
The submission must include:
- An example of a work of journalism that shows the application of data skills (e.g. use of spreadsheets, web scraping, use of mapping tool).
- An explanation of what you did and how you did it, including the resources you used.
- An idea for a project you would like to work on, particularly if you had more data journalism skills.
- A letter of support from an instructor or editor.
The Selection Process
We will review all entries according to the criteria below:
- Follow all submission rules and complete full details
- Submissions must be in English or in French
- Minimum word count for written parts of the submission: 500
- Previously published material can be submitted
- Creativity and style; coherence and readability
- Effective use of data, visualizations, and/or medium being used
- Strength of the topic and the applicant's work
All submissions will be passed by a small committee made up of experienced journalists. Investintech.com will work in collaboration with the CAJ to create a jury that includes judges with extensive experience and multiple writing credentials at notable and authoritative publications. The official selection committee that will determine the winning submission will include one Investintech.com representative and one CAJ member to provide input during the selection process.
Each jury member will be carefully selected, reviewed, and recommended by the CAJ. Journalists will be chosen based on their background, experience, and area of expertise. At least one of these members will be fluent in French to help evaluate submissions that are in French. The jury will review all submissions and narrow down the results to just one winning submission.
The selection jury for the 2019-2020 academic year:
- Chad Skelton
- David McKie
- Valérie Ouellet
To learn more about the writing credentials and journalism experience of the selection jury members, please visit the Data Journalist Scholarship Selection Jury page.
- $1,000.00 CAD
- Free one year membership with the CAJ
- One free pass to the annual CAJ national conference (*As the 2020 annual conference has been cancelled,
this free pass reward will not be offered this year).)
Deadline: May 1, 2020
Award date for 2019-20 scholarship year: May 17, 2020
Submit Your Application
Submit your entry along with the following details:
- Email address
- Phone number
- Educational Institute (college or university)
- Your journalism experience: internships, school newspapers, relevant positions, blogs, etc.
Any question on the process please email email@example.com.
Privacy, Terms and Conditions
All students retain rights to their submissions. If selected as a winning recipient, you will be asked for a short bio and/or photo along with any details you may wish to have used in announcements, marketing material, testimonials.
It is our aim that the winning entries be published or linked to on a winners list. However, Investintech.com will not publish any work without the express permission of the winner. For details, read the full terms and conditions on our site.
About Investintech.com, Inc.
Investintech.com, Inc. is the developer of industry leading PDF conversion, creation and editing solutions. We’ve proudly partnered with and sponsored Canadian journalist training programs and educational institutions, such as Humber College, Munk School of Global Affairs, and King’s College University, with licenses of our flagship product, Able2Extract Professional.
About Canadian Association of Journalists (CAJ)
The Canadian Association of Journalists is a professional organization with more than 700 members across Canada. The CAJ's primary roles are public-interest advocacy work and professional development for its members.