Investintech - CAJ Journalism Scholarship
Investintech.com, Inc. is pleased to announce its annual scholarship contest to Canadian and journalism students. Students will win $1,000, a free one year membership with the CAJ and a free pass to the annual national CAJ conference.
About the Scholarship
As developers of PDF converter, creator and editor solutions, we know what an important role data has to play in our everyday lives and especially in the news. Now more than ever, factual data analysis is crucial to the integrity of investigative reporting, and learning to do so accurately is essential. That’s why we’re getting involved right where it matters most when it comes to the future of the journalism industry — the students.
Our aim for this scholarship is to support and encourage journalism students by helping them with the costs of their education, which can often be a hindrance to their career. Not only that, but we intend for this scholarship to serve as a way to help prepare students for a career path as a journalist by getting them to think about the industry and its ever increasing emphasis on data.
That said, this scholarship will go to one Canadian student who shows insight and good understanding of the journalism industry before they even enter the newsroom professionally. We want to get Canadian and journalism students, like you, to really think about the data you use in your stories.
To ensure this scholarship falls in line with professional and journalistic guidelines, we’ve partnered with the Canadian Association of Journalists (CAJ). The CAJ is a notable journalism organization that provides Canadian journalists with support, mentorship, community, and resources across the country.
Take the opportunity to start realizing your potential as a data journalist.
Important Dates And Deadlines
- Annual deadline for submissions: April 1, 2021
- Review timeframe: April 2, 2020 - April 16, 2021
- Our announcement date: April 19, 2021
- Award date for the 2020 - 2021 scholarship year: April 20, 2021
The Investintech - CAJ Data Journalism Scholarship is open to all students with proven journalism skills and an interest in data journalism. Eligible students must meet the following requirements:
- Must be working towards either a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree of any program.
- Show evidence of their journalism skills and interest, such as having a published news story, or be working for a college publication, etc.
- Currently accepted to or enrolled in a college or university in Canada.
- Pursuing a course of studies leading to an undergraduate or graduate degree.
Submission and Application Details
Submitted work may be a published item, class assignment or even an item on a personal blog.
- Work must have been produced within one calendar year of the scholarship closing date.
- Individual work is preferred. If the submitted item is produced as part of a team of two or more, the applicant must submit their own proof of work.
- Previous winners are not eligible to apply.
The submission must include:
- An example of a work of journalism that shows the application of data skills (e.g. use of spreadsheets, web scraping, use of mapping tool).
- An explanation of what you did and how you did it, including the resources you used. For submissions that were part of a group project, applicants must explain their role, the skills they used in fulfilling that role, and the specific parts of the story, or stories, that their contribution influenced.
- An idea for a project you would like to work on, particularly if you had more data journalism skills. Include a link to a dataset that shows why the story is worth pursuing, and a link to a story you aspire to create or one that inspires you as a journalist.
- A letter of support from an instructor or editor.
Visit our Winner’s page where you can get a look at last year’s 2019 - 2020 recipient, the winning submission, and the Selection Jury’s feedback.
The Selection Process
We will review all entries according to the criteria below:
- Follow all submission rules and complete full details
- Submissions must be in English or in French
- Minimum word count for written parts of the submission: 500
- Previously published material can be submitted
- Creativity and style; coherence and readability
- Effective use of data, visualizations, and/or medium being used
- Strength of the topic and the applicant's work
All submissions will be passed by a small committee made up of experienced journalists. Investintech.com will work in collaboration with the CAJ to create a jury that includes judges with extensive experience and multiple credentials at notable and authoritative media outlets. The official selection committee that will determine the winning submission will include one Investintech.com representative and one CAJ member to provide input during the selection process.
Each jury member will be carefully selected, reviewed, and recommended by the CAJ. Journalists will be chosen based on their background, experience, and area of expertise. At least one of these members will be fluent in French to help evaluate submissions that are in French. The jury will review all submissions and narrow down the results to just one winning submission.
The selection jury for the 2020-2021 academic year:
- Chad Skelton
- David McKie
- Valérie Ouellet
To learn more about the credentials and journalism experience of the selection jury members, please visit the Data Journalist Scholarship Selection Jury page.
- $1,000.00 CAD
- Free one year membership with the CAJ
- One free pass to the annual CAJ national conference
Deadline: April 1, 2021
Award date for the 2020 - 2021 scholarship year: April 20, 2021
Submit Your Application
Submit your entry along with the following details:
- Email address
- Phone number
- Educational Institute (college or university)
- Your journalism experience: internships, school newspapers, relevant positions, blogs, etc.
- A short 100 - 200 word bio, profile picture, and 1-2 professional or social links
The scholarship for 2020-2021 is now closed. We are no longer accepting applications at the moment. Please stay tuned for the third annual Investintech - CAJ Data Journalism Scholarship announcement and open call for submissions.
For any questions on the process please email email@example.com.
Privacy, Terms and Conditions
All students retain rights to their submissions. If selected as a winning recipient, your short bio and/or photo along with any details you wish to have used in announcements, marketing material, testimonials, must be provided at the time of submission.
It is our aim that the winning entries be published or linked to on a winners list. However, Investintech.com will not publish any work without the express permission of the winner. For details, read the full terms and conditions on our site.
About Investintech.com, Inc.
Investintech.com, Inc. is the developer of industry leading PDF conversion, creation and editing solutions. We’ve proudly partnered with and sponsored Canadian journalist training programs and educational institutions, such as Humber College, Munk School of Global Affairs, and King’s College University, with licenses of our flagship product, Able2Extract Professional.
About Canadian Association of Journalists (CAJ)
The Canadian Association of Journalists is a professional organization with more than 700 members across Canada. The CAJ's primary roles are public-interest advocacy work and professional development for its members.