Terms & Conditions
Investintech - CAJ Data Journalism Scholarship
The Investintech - CAJ Data Journalism Scholarship (the "Scholarship") is governed by these official rules (the "Scholarship terms and conditions"). The submission begins November 11, 2019 at 9 AM EST and ends May 1, 2020 at 11:59 PM EST (the "Scholarship Period"). The following Terms and Conditions apply to the Scholarship.
SPONSOR: Investintech.com Inc. with an address 301 – 425 University Ave. Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 1T6 (the "Sponsor").
1. ELIGIBILITY: The Investintech - CAJ Data Journalism Scholarship is open to all students who are age of majority and are currently attending a credible university or college within the country. The student must be accepted to or enrolled in a diploma or full-time undergraduate or graduate journalism program in Canada..
By entering the Scholarship as described in these Scholarship Rules, entrants represent and warrant that they are complying with these Scholarship Rules (including, without limitation, all eligibility requirements), and that they agree to abide by and be bound by all the rules and terms and conditions stated herein and all decisions of Sponsor, which shall be final and binding.
Any students (including, but not limited to, employees, consultants, independent contractors and interns) who have, within the past six (6) months, held employment with or performed services for Sponsor or any organizations affiliated with the sponsorship, fulfillment, administration, prize support, advertisement or promotion of the Scholarship ("Employees") are not eligible to enter or win.
2. ENTRIES: To enter the Scholarship, you must meet the eligibility requirements of the scholarship as stated on the Investintech - CAJ Data Journalism Scholarship homepage. You must then fill in the online entry form with the required information along with the submission attached. By confirming your eligibility, submitting your details and attaching your work, you will be entered for consideration. Entry limit is one application submission per student. Subsequent attempts made by the same individual to submit multiple entries by using multiple accounts or otherwise may result in disqualification of the entrant.
Only contributions submitted during the Scholarship Period will be eligible for entry. No other methods of entry will be accepted. Entries are limited to individual students only. Use of a false identity and account will disqualify an entry. The Sponsor is not responsible for entries not received due to difficulty accessing the internet, service outage or delays, computer difficulties and other technological problems.
Entries are subject to any applicable restrictions or eligibility requirements listed herein. Entries will be deemed to have been made by the authorized account holder of the email at the time of entry and qualification. Multiple participants are not permitted to share the same email address. Should multiple users of the same email account, as applicable, enter the Scholarship and a dispute thereafter arises regarding the identity of the entrant, the Authorized Account Holder of said email account at the time of entry will be considered the entrant. "Authorized Account Holder" is defined as the natural person who is assigned an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider, or other organization which is responsible for the assigned email addresses, or the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address. Proof of submission of an entry shall not be deemed proof of receipt by the website administrator. When applicable, the website administrator's computer will be deemed the official time keeping device for the Scholarship. Entries will be disqualified if found to be incomplete and/or if the Sponsor determines, at its sole discretion, that multiple entries were submitted by the same entrant in violation of the Scholarship Rules.
3. CRITERIA, SELECTION PROCESS: Submissions must follow the guidelines listed on the official scholarship homepage. No substitutions for written submissions will be allowed. Content must be submitted in English or French with the appropriate information from the participant. It must not contain any plagiarized material. Any and all quoted material should be cited appropriately along with relevant source links or attribution required. The treatment of sources and methods used in the written portion of the submission must be done in accordance with journalistic guidelines. This rule also applies to any images, data, or graphics used.
Each jury member will read each submission for coherence, quality, and style. They will also check for the use, accuracy, and credibility of sources and data used within the submission.
The only entries that will be considered eligible are entries received by Sponsor within the Scholarship Period and that follow all requirements. The odds of being selected depend on the number of eligible submissions received and the quality of the submission. The Sponsor and jury reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to choose an alternative winner if a possible winner has been disqualified or is deemed ineligible for any reason.
The selection process will consist of a review period lasting from May 1st - May 15th, 2020 during which each member of the jury will carefully review each submission.
The review period will occur from May 1, 2020 after which the committee will meet and discuss their selections of eligible entries they deem are qualified. The longlist will consist of no fewer than ten (10). From this longlist, jury members will debate and select a shortlist. The shortlist will consist of no less than three (3) and no more than five (5) submissions. From this list, the jury members will be responsible for selecting one winner. This decision is at the sole discretion of the jury.
The jury is bound not to divulge or discuss any of the submissions submitted for the prize with anyone outside of the jury. The jury agrees to discuss the submissions under consideration only with their fellow jury members. The jury vows to pick the best submissions regardless of the entrant’s geography, gender, or ethnicity.
4. JURY COMMITTEE, QUALIFICATIONS: The jury committee will consist of three journalists who will review applications and select the Winner.
Investintech.com will work in collaboration with the CAJ to create a jury that includes judges with extensive experience and multiple writing credentials at notable and authoritative publications. The official selection committee that will determine the winning submission will include one Investintech.com representative and one CAJ member to provide input during the selection process. Each jury member will be carefully selected, reviewed, and recommended by the CAJ. Journalists will be chosen based on their background, experience, and area of expertise. At least one of these members will be fluent in French to help evaluate submissions that are in French.
To learn more about the writing credentials and journalism experience of the selection jury members, please visit the Data Journalist Scholarship Selection Jury page.
5. WINNER AND NOTIFICATION: Sponsor working in collaboration with the selection jury will announce the prize winner ("Winner") on May 16, 2020 ("Announcement Date"). The final shortlisted candidates will be notified by email that they have been selected as the winner for the award. The Notification of Winner shall be deemed to have occurred immediately upon the email announcement being sent by the Sponsor.
6. PRIZE: One (1) student will receive the following one-time cash prize of $1,000 CAD. No more than the stated number of prizes will be awarded, and the prize listed above will be awarded. No prize substitution is permitted, except at the discretion of the Sponsor.
The winner will also receive a free one year membership with the CAJ on an “as-is” basis. It will include access to services and subscriptions that are available to all registered CAJ members for one year. It is at the sole discretion of the winner to register for those accounts. Free service accounts offered by the partners of the CAJ and the features offered through them are provided at the discretion of those partners. The winner will not hold the CAJ responsible for any loss of data, technical failure or issue resulting from those complimentary accounts and services.
A free pass to the annual national CAJ conference will be awarded to the recipient of the scholarship, as well. This does not include costs incurred for travel to the conference venue or accommodations within the city in which the conference is held. It is up to the winner to make their own arrangements. The free pass includes all access to workshops, presentations, swag, and information seminars for which the pass is eligible. The free pass does not guarantee a spot in those workshops and information sessions and is completely subject to a first come, first serve basis. NOTE: The CAJ has cancelled the annual national conference for 2020 in Montreal. Consequently, the pass to the conference as a prize will not be offered this year. There are currently no virtual conference alternatives or substitution prizes available.
7. PAYMENT AND DELIVERY OF THE PRIZE: Payment of the cash prize will be provided by cheque and made payable to the winning recipient’s college or university as stated by the student upon submission of their application. The prize will be placed on deposit towards the student’s tuition account and used to pay any fees owed to the college or university. Any remaining funds will be made available to the recipient via direct deposit or cheque mailed to the address provided by the student.
The CAJ will deliver the one year free membership and free pass to the national CAJ conference at their discretion in a manner that is convenient for both the association and the winner.
In the event the winning student leaves the college or university stated on their Scholarship application between the Submission date and the Selection date the Winner is announced, the payment receipt of the prize will be decided upon between the Sponsor, the CAJ, and the Winner.
All necessary information required by the university to accept such payments (student number, social insurance number, date of birth, address, etc.) is to be provided by the student to the Sponsor. The Winner’s personal information will be kept confidential and destroyed afterwards.
Both the Winner and entrants retain all rights to their written work. The Sponsor will not modify, alter, or edit submissions in any manner. While the Sponsor will not publish or post any work without the express permission of the winner, it is the Sponsor’s intention that the winning submission be published or linked to on a winners list to further promote the scholarship. The manner in which the submission will be posted or linked to is to be decided upon by the Sponsor. The Winner will be asked for a short bio and/or photo and any details to have used in announcements, marketing material, and testimonials.
9. PROMOTION: By entering the Scholarship, each applicant understands that the Sponsor will need the Winner to provide a name and short bio summary, testimonial statement on the sponsorship, and picture for advertising, publicity or other purposes such as a winner’s list in any and all MEDIA WHETHER NOW KNOWN OR HEREINAFTER DEVELOPED, online, without additional consent OR compensation, except where prohibited by law.
Although the Scholarship will be featured on Facebook, Twitter, and/or other social media platforms, the Scholarship is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or association with Facebook, Twitter, and/or such other social media platforms and you agree that Facebook, Twitter, and all other social media platforms are not liable in any way for any claims, damages or losses associated with the Scholarship.
10. DISCLAIMER: THE PRIZE IS PROVIDED TO THE WINNER ON AN "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT FURTHER WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. SPONSOR HEREBY DISCLAIMS ALL FURTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS, IMPLIED, OR STATUTORY INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE WITH RESPECT TO THE PRIZE.
11. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: BY ENTERING THE SCHOLARSHIP, ENTRANTS, ON BEHALF OF THEMSELVES AND THEIR HEIRS, EXECUTORS, ASSIGNS AND REPRESENTATIVES, RELEASE AND HOLD THE SPONSOR its PARENT COMPANIES, SUBSIDIARIES, AFFILIATED COMPANIES, UNITS AND DIVISIONS, AND THE CURRENT AND FORMER OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, SHAREHOLDERS, AGENTS, SUCCESSORS AND ASSIGNS OF EACH OF THE FOREGOING, AND ALL THOSE ACTING UNDER THE AUTHORITY OF THE FOREGOING, OR ANY OF THEM (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, ADVERTISING AND PROMOTIONAL AGENCIES AND PRIZE SUPPLIERS) (EACH A "RELEASED PARTY"), HARMLESS FROM AND AGAINST ANY AND ALL CLAIMS, ACTIONS, INJURY, LOSS, DAMAGES, LIABILITIES AND OBLIGATIONS OF ANY KIND WHATSOEVER (COLLECTIVELY, THE "CLAIMS") WHETHER KNOWN OR UNKNOWN, SUSPECTED OR UNSUSPECTED, WHICH ENTRANT EVER HAD, NOW HAVE, OR HEREAFTER CAN, SHALL OR MAY HAVE, AGAINST THE RELEASED PARTIES (OR ANY OF THEM), INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, CLAIMS ARISING FROM OR RELATED TO THE SCHOLARSHIP OR ENTRANT'S PARTICIPATION IN THE SCHOLARSHIP (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, CLAIMS FOR LIBEL, DEFAMATION, INVASION OF PRIVACY, VIOLATION OF THE RIGHT OF PUBLICITY, COMMERCIAL APPROPRIATION OF NAME AND LIKENESS, INFRINGEMENT OF COPYRIGHT OR VIOLATION OF ANY OTHER PERSONAL OR PROPRIETARY RIGHT), AND THE RECEIPT, OWNERSHIP, USE, MISUSE, TRANSFER, SALE OR OTHER DISPOSITION OF THE PRIZE (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, CLAIMS FOR PERSONAL INJURY, DEATH, AND/OR PROPERTY DAMAGE). All matters relating to the interpretation and application of these Scholarship Rules shall be decided by Sponsor in its sole discretion.
12. DISPUTES: If, for any reason (including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of the Scholarship which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Scholarship), the Scholarship is not capable of being conducted as described in these Scholarship Rules, the Sponsor shall have the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process, and/or to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Scholarship.
The Sponsor assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to, or alteration of, entries. The Sponsor is not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any computer online systems, servers, providers, computer equipment, software, or failure of any email or entry to be received by Sponsor on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website, or any combination thereof, including, without limitation, any injury or damage to any entrant's or any other person's computer related to or resulting from participating or downloading any materials in this Scholarship. Any attempt by any person to deliberately undermine the legitimate operation of the Scholarship may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages to the fullest extent permitted by law. Sponsor's failure to enforce any term of these Scholarship Rules shall not constitute a waiver of any provision.
As a condition of participating in the Scholarship, the entrant agrees that any and all disputes that cannot be resolved between entrant and Sponsor, and causes of action arising out of or connected with the Scholarship or these Scholarship Rules, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, exclusively before a court of competent jurisdiction located in the Province of Ontario and entrant irrevocably consents to the jurisdiction of the federal and municipal courts located in Province of Ontario with respect to any such dispute, cause of action, or other matter. All disputes will be governed and controlled by the laws of the Province of Ontario (without regard for its conflicts-of-laws principles). Further, in any such dispute, under no circumstances will entrant be permitted to obtain awards for, and hereby irrevocably waives all rights to claim, punitive, incidental, or consequential damages, or any other damages, including attorneys' fees, other than entrant's actual out-of-pocket expenses (i.e., costs incurred directly in connection with entrant's participation in the Scholarship), and entrant further irrevocably waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased, if any. EACH PARTY EXPRESSLY WAIVES ANY RIGHT TO A TRIAL BY JURY. All federal, provincial, and local laws and regulations apply.
13. OTHER RULES: This Scholarship is subject to all applicable laws and is void where prohibited. Entrants retain all rights to their submissions in connection with the Scholarship. The Winner assumes all liability for any injuries or damage caused or claimed to be caused by participation in this Scholarship or by the use or misuse of information.
If, in the Sponsor's opinion, there is any suspected or actual evidence of fraud, electronic or non-electronic tampering or unauthorized intervention with any portion of this Scholarship, or if fraud or technical difficulties of any sort (e.g., computer viruses, bugs) compromise the integrity of the Scholarship, the Sponsor reserves the right to void suspect entries and/or terminate the Scholarship and award the Prize at its sole discretion. Any attempt to deliberately damage the Sponsor's website(s) or undermine the legitimate operation of the Scholarship may be in violation of Canada criminal and civil laws and will result in disqualification from participation in the Scholarship. Should such an attempt be made, the Sponsor reserves the right to seek remedies and damages (including attorney's fees) to the fullest extent of the law, including pursuing criminal prosecution.
WINNER(S) LIST: For a list of names of prize winners after the Selection Date, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
BY ENTERING, YOU AGREE THAT YOU HAVE READ AND AGREE TO ALL OF THE ABOVE SCHOLARSHIP RULES.